Total Pageviews

Wednesday 7 January 2015

Hydrocephalus: Do Not Be Callous Please

On that day, I was making my way to the clinic from home in a haste, for I was already way too late for the clinical review. Just at the junction right before the taxi would make a right turn to bring me onto the hospital grounds, I saw this distinctive massive head on a child not more than 5years.
 He was supported on the laps of a woman, I presumed to be his mother, and were soliciting financial aid from passers-by. I thought of the innocence of the boy, as he was obviously not aware of the pathetic state in which he was.

Then I saw them. About 3 young lads pointing directly at the boy. I thought I saw one of them whisper something to his friends and they burst out laughing. I was shocked and ashamed.
Hydrocephalus, for that was my spot diagnosis for the boys condition, is not of his making.
And thought his head can actually grow to almost 5 times the size of his body, does not warrant laughter for any reason at all.

That incident actually shattered my day. The hydrocephalic boy would obviously need a shunt to survive. I have seen quite a number of this condition over the last 2 years and the funny faces some of us make when they pass by. It seem the incidence is increasing in our environment.

They need our support, encouragement, love and empathy. Not some silly remark about the shape of the head or how his eyes appears to be 'sun-setting'. Let's show that we care!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any Question or Comment?
Send in your comments or Questions here, and get feedback!!
Also post in your queries about this post..