Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 December 2014

Music in the Operating Room.

I have been in a lot of operating rooms, as an observer and learner, and have noticed some things that I have now come to understand.
 My latest experience shocked me beyond words. The operation was actually an abdominal hysterectomy. In my mind, this kind of operation requires every concentration and dextrity of the surgeon.

After scrubbing in, the lead surgeon beckoned on a theatre nurse to put on his music box. Lo and behold, the whole room was filled with ringing voice of Placido Domingo's Nessun Dorma!! I have always been a fan of Mr Placido, but I was taken aback by the inappropriateness of his voice in the room.

Later, I discovered this was just my first experience of 'music in the operating room', that is now widely acceptable among surgeons. (Read more here)
This seems to be an emerging trend in our environment. Only time will tell if 'music in the operating room' translate to a better patient outcome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any Question or Comment?
Send in your comments or Questions here, and get feedback!!
Also post in your queries about this post..