Total Pageviews

Friday 26 December 2014

Bubbles in the Special Care Baby Unit

The in-patients at the other wards have all been discharged a few days before Christmas. Today is boxing day, and the Special Care Baby unit (SCBU), is still running at full speed.
I looked into one of the incubator at one of"Our Gift", that is how I like to call them, and saw the vulnerability of our gifts, if we were not here to look over them.

The Special Care Baby Unit is an important unit in a tertiary facility, where they are nurtured till they can stand the elements. Most of our gifts are between the ages of 34 - 38weeks old, in one form of distress or another. Save for our newest gift, who is 35weeks old, others are almost due for discharge into the waiting arms of family and friends.
I like to believe they hear me, as I whisper some sweet words into there tiny ear, of course, outside the incubator.

Now and then, the mothers of our gifts would troop in to breastfeed them, or spoon food them; never bottle feeding. Most can suckle independently now; that is a good sign.
The oldest of them now have this high sounding cry, unlike when he was admitted to be treated for meconium in amniotic fluid. He has since shown remarkable improvement.

I ll spend a few more hours with them, before I rush back to my abode to open some gifts I got. After all, it's boxing day!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS.... COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any Question or Comment?
Send in your comments or Questions here, and get feedback!!
Also post in your queries about this post..