Total Pageviews

Monday 22 December 2014

Accelerate Attainment of MDG 1

As I sat in Church yesterday, hoping to get in touch with my God in different way this time, a man and his wife with 2 kids strolled in. At first, I was not drawn to look their way, afterall I am to concentrate on God, but when the young boy cried for his mother's attention, I had to spare a glance.

The man wore clothes native to the south south of Nigeria, but I can swear had seen better days.
His wife, as much as I feel, felt elegant, but there was something amiss in her appearance. Maybe it was the very cheap weavon she had on, or her skin that looked so dry, I could not just place it.

The two little children, non the wiser, did carry-on like all was well. They both had this look smacked of some degree of malnutrition (of course to a trained eye). Then I thought to myself of the level of squalor still pervasive in our land.

I tried to give reasons for this aberration; 'some I knew I the recent past are now doing so well for themselves' i pondered. Then, "why is this particular family left out in the cold?" My teachers in medical school would say the country's health indices had never been better. Things seem to be improving.

I ask again, "why is this family, like many more I have seen, left out in the cold?"
I believe there has to be some form of accelerated attainment of the Millenium Development Goal 1 (Eradication of Extreme Poverty and Hunger), since the dead-line is next year.
A policy that does not carry along most people is NOT a good policy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any Question or Comment?
Send in your comments or Questions here, and get feedback!!
Also post in your queries about this post..