Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 November 2014

Re: How I survived cancer- Wole Soyinka

When the news broke about the health status of Nobel laureate winner, Prof Wole Soyinka, the country was startled. Listen to what he said at the press conference held at June 12 Cultural Centre, Abeokuta, Ogun State; "For me, this is not a decision which I like but I felt I have all obligation, being a member of African Cancer Centre, and also having even donated a performance during the festival, fund raising for cancer, I am under obligation to make it known and to also demystify cancer,” he said.
“Many people feel it is a death sentence. Family feel it; friends, colleagues, they begin to look at you as if you are a ghost once there is rumour you have cancer. No, cancer is not a death sentence, it is curable, I have undergone the treatment and I am able to tell you that I even have a model, that’s my certificate.”
 To say the least, I was impressed. Looking at it from a medical stand point, he presented quite early and so stood a better chance to survive the condition. I have always believed in that old medical dictum which says,"early presentation is key".
 Hear what he has to say about Cancer facilities in the country; “The important thing is that I am convinced that we have enough funds in this nation to build cancer centres, including research that this nation require,” he said. “It is very capital intensive, some of it, but there are many ways and treatments for cancer just like there are many kinds of cancer. Even diet forms an important part. Diet is critical.”
 I do hope his gesture would spur more people to early presentation and testing. For only then would we keep at bay preventable deaths.
   See more photos of the younger Prof;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any Question or Comment?
Send in your comments or Questions here, and get feedback!!
Also post in your queries about this post..